[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKS OF MY LIFE

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:37:40 +0100

Trish, as I'm  a fan of dystopias, you won't be surprised to learn that the
Atwood is one of my faves too.  Back in the late 60s there was a Book at
Bedtime reading of middlemarch by Gabriel Wolf.  did you hear that?  it's a
book I must try again as I haven't read it since college.  As for HP, while I
admire the achievement, I find that the books lack the kind of originality that
someone like Tolkien created.  they are too derivative of other people's work
for me.   Watership down is a classic of its kind.  Again though I've read it
as a book, I remember it as a Storytime reading in the 70s though I can;t
remember who did it off the top of my head.  Finally Small Island is unusual
for me in that it was a book I only ever read as a TB and the reading team was
absolutely top notch.  Mind you, I could listen to Joan Walker read the phone
book and be happy.