[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKS OF MY LIFE

  • From: "Shell" <shell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:49:54 +0100

It's quite a while since I read Philanthropist Trish. I remember that I thought
it was going to be hard going and was pleasantly surprised at what a readable
book it was. Very sad in parts, as you say.
Cider House was the first Irving I read and I really loved it, but Owen Meany
just has something very special about it.  They made a film of the book and
changed the main character's name from Owen Meany to Simon Birch. They also
changed the ending completely and missed huge chunks out which made for quite
an odd and very unsatisfying film.