[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKER BOOKS was Re: Re: Alison's books.

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 19:51:04 +0100

Please give Oscar and Lucinda a go Claire, and, for that matter, the Kelly
Gang.  The latter is written as an extended letter by Ned to his infant
daughter.  the former has some remarkable incidents in it including some from
Oscar's childhood which explain some of how he is as an adult and also the
extreme Puritanism which was around in the 18th and 19th centuries.  I'm by no
means an uncritical Carey fan, but Oscar is a book of Dickensian achievement.