[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKER BOOKS was Re: Re: Alison's books.

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 19:35:46 +1000

Yes, Steve, I think you're right except the obsession with Kelly and clan -
and especially him - preceded more modern books and films. I think he was
even the subject of the first or one of the first silent films here.

Even otherwise sensible academics are quite myopic about him.

And, yes, there is indeed a Kelly tourist experience in, I think, Beechworth
in Victoria where they lived. As for Kelly artefacts coming up for auction.

Sadly, there were some horrendous injustices and I daresay even they were
unfairly treated but they were also neither saintly nor kind and I am now
doubtlessly biased in the opposite direction.

I didn't know that about Ireland and the Titanic, though. Wonderful stuff.

I do recall a campaign to re-name a Canberra street Nelson Mandela Drive
after his release and the A.N.C. victory but suspect it wasn't successful.
Most of the Canberra suburbs are named after former prime ministers or other
politicians and there is a place in New South Wales called Byron Bay where
all the streets are named after prominent poets or literary figures. The sad
thing is that so many visitors don't realise it. Sigh!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Elaine