[duxuser] Re: transcribing questions and thoughts

  • From: "Steve Dresser" <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:04:57 -0400

Kim,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "scanning into Word."  If you mean
scanning the document and then cutting and pasting, that may very well explain
the formatting issues you have.  On the other hand, if you scan with Openbook
and save the result as a Word document, you should have fewer issues when you
bring the document into DBT.

All that said, you may still have to work on the document, and the question of
where you do the work depends largely on your comfort level with Word and/or
DBT.  Dbt's Word importer works well provided that you use Word styles
correctly.  For example, using Word's Heading1 style to produce a centered
heading yields a properly centered heading in Duxbury.  However, if you center
a line by inserting tabs and spaces, the result in Duxbury will be a mess.

I do most of my formatting in Duxbury because I am more familiar with DBT codes
and styles than I am with those in Word, and because in most cases I'm only
interested in the final product in braille.  In one case, however, I have to
produce both braille and print versions of the document, and then I do as much
as I can in Word before I import the document into Duxbury.  Even then, though,
I do the final formatting for braille in Duxbury because despite my best
efforts, Word sometimes misbehaves, and I can fix things more quickly in
Duxbury.

I hope my answer has been helpful, and I'd be happy to share my thoughts in
more detail off list.

Steve