[duxuser] Re: Why Six-key Entry?

  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:16:58 +1000

Susan,
Until DBT does a flawless job of translating the print file to braille
there is going to be a need to edit the braille file--easier done in
6-key.

Not everyone uses Nemeth so (non-BANA) technical codes are near
impossible to enter in ASCII (I have no experience trying to do so with
BANA codes)--so by necessity done in 6-key.

Formatting of the braille document is very hard to see in the print file
and necessitates use of all those pesky codes, things are more WYSIWYG
in 6-key thereby making most of the codes un-necessary and DBT easier to
learn and use.

If transcribers weren't expected to learn 6-key it follows they wouldn't
also be expected to learn braille, as if you can do one you can do the
other. The short answer is that if you are expecting a good, accurate
and well formatted transcription the transcriber has to be able to read
AND write braille, to suggest otherwise is ludicrous! You could probably
get a parcel of secretaries to do braille transcription, but I can
imagine what the resultant braille document would look like (apologies
to the secretarial profession).

I am (probably) one of the few who can braille faster than I can type.
At least I can use six fingers to braille, whereas I'm stuck with two
for typing :-)

Later, Alan