[duxuser] Re: Please help!

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:17:28 +0100

Hi Rosie,

Nothing like being flung in at the deep end!  (Smile)

.xls files are usually Excel 2003 or earlier Spreadsheets, and can't
be opened directly into DBT.  What you may be able to do is open the
spreadsheet in Excel, and do a "Save As", saving it as say a CSV file
(Comma Separated Variable)

However, you will need to understand what the spreadsheet is all
about.

As regards PDF files, they cannot be opened directly in DBT either
since they are essentially a special format.  However, if you have an
up to date version of Adobe Reader, you MAY be able to again do a Save
As in Adobe, and Save As text.

And there is a "however" here too.  This will only work if the PDF has
been created from a Word Processing package like Word for Windows.
Sometimes people will scan a printed document, and then produce a PDF
from that.  Net result is that you won't get any text at all.

George.