[duxuser] Re: Identifying the IP address of the printer!

  • From: "Paul J. Traynor" <pjtraynor@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:55:30 +0100

Hi George,

Clear and detailed as always and I thank you for that.  Here are your
questions with my answers underneath them.

 1.   is your Index printer actually connected via it's network (RJ45)
connexion?

A. Yes.

 2.  If so, can you also then tell me where it is connected?  Is it
connected directly to your system's network card, or is it connected
elsewhere?

A. My printer is connected to a small hub which has two other computers also
attached to it. Dynamic addressing

 3.  Is it working at the moment?  Do know what steps you took to get it
installed and working?

A. Well this is the part I am not sure about. I downloaded a utility from
the index site and  went into tools where I found IP addressing. I set it to
automatically find its own IP address just like my computers are done. They
work fine with this. I think its called "Dynamic addressing" in windows xp
professional.

4.  And finally, what operating are you using; and if the embosser is not
connected to your system, what operating system controls it?

A. I use windows XP professional and this OS also controls the printer.

Some extra details are that I had my printer working on LPT1 origionally but
circumstances change and I need to move things around so it became
impractical and networking it suits me better. Also I want to learn this so
it is a learning experience for me too.

Thanks again George for taking the time to help me here.

Regards,

Paul.

The reason I ask all this is because there are two ways in which the Index
Version 3 embossers can get their IP addresses.

The first way is that you or your supplier gives the embosser a Static, or
fixed, IP address, for example 192.168.1.10.  The embosser then keeps this
address until such time as it is manually changed.  I spare you how for now.

The second way is that the embosser calls for a "Dynamically Allocated" IP
address from a Server.  This address can change from time to time depending
on the configuration of the Server, Active Directory and such like.

Pressing the Help key on the embosser should result in a print out of the
current settings, including any IP address.  However, be aware that even if
an IP address is printed out, it will not be valid if connected Serial or
Parallel.

I'll let you draw breath before going any further.

All the best,

George Bell.

  Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to identify the IP address of the Index braille
printer please. Note that I am not  good at Braille, I came into it late in
life so touch isn't as good as  people on this list would have. However I
can learn so if someone can explain to me what steps I need to locate  this
address it would be good.
Perhaps there is a way I can ping it or something to check that its being
seen on the network.

Many thanks,

Paul.