[duxuser] Re: Identifying the IP address of the printer!

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:12:28 +0100

Hi Paul,

Sorry if the first part here is a shade technical,
but it's essential to understand what and where to
find things.

Perhaps a series of seemingly dumb question on my
part, but is your Index printer actually connected
via it's network (RJ45) connexion?

If so, can you also then tell me where it is
connected?  Is it connected directly to your
system's network card, or is it connected
elsewhere?

Is it working at the moment?  Do know what steps
you took to get it installed and working?

And finally, what operating are you using; and if
the embosser is not connected to your system, what
operating system controls it?

The reason I ask all this is because there are two
ways in which the Index Version 3 embossers can
get their IP addresses.

The first way is that you or your supplier gives
the embosser a Static, or fixed, IP address, for
example 192.168.1.10.  The embosser then keeps
this address until such time as it is manually
changed.  I spare you how for now.

The second way is that the embosser calls for a
"Dynamically Allocated" IP address from a Server.
This address can change from time to time
depending on the configuration of the Server,
Active Directory and such like.

Pressing the Help key on the embosser should
result in a print out of the current settings,
including any IP address.  However, be aware that
even if an IP address is printed out, it will not
be valid if connected Serial or Parallel.

I'll let you draw breath before going any further.

All the best,

George Bell.

  Hi,

        Can anyone tell me how to identify the IP
address of the Index braille printer please. Note
that I am not  good at Braille, I came into it
late in life so touch isn't as good as  people on
this list would have. However I can learn so if
someone can explain to me what steps I need to
locate  this address it would be good.
        Perhaps there is a way I can ping it or
something to check that its being seen on the
network.

        Many thanks,

        Paul.