[duxuser] Re: 2013 Calendar

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:34:17 -0000

As the person who produced this calendar, I should perhaps offer some
notes of explanation.

First it is not actually an official Duxbury document.  It all goes
back a few years when someone asked about having a braille calendar,
and I produced a version of what you see now.  The idea initially was
that it could be used as a "give away" by replacing the "Your Name or
Company" with something appropriate such as your organisation's name.
If you wish, you can add pages promoting your organisation with
contact details, etc..

Unfortunately braille paper sizes vary the world over and most
commonly range in depth from 10 inches to 13 inches deep.

I'm based in the U.K. where the most popular depth is 12 inches, and
as luck would have it, we can get 3 months on to one 12 inch page,
based on 9 lines per calendar page.  All we then do is emboss
single-sided, remove the sprocket margins, cut between the months, and
bind at the left side, resulting in a handy pocket calendar.

With the range of paper sizes, not to mention makes and models of
braille embosser, unfortunately it has to be fined tuned by the user
or producer in many cases.

If you reveal the Codes in DBT, you will see that it is also a very
good example of using tabs, special numbering and Running Footers, so
it is quite a good example of using these features.

Feel free to experiment.  If you blow it, you can always go back to
the original and start again.

George Bell.