[drivingpairs] which side?

  • From: Peter & Rachel Eldred <preldred@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:54:59 -0700

"Now, another question.  When starting out with a young pair, how are
"sides" determined, or are they switched back and forth for a bit?"

I'm no authority, but this has worked for me. We started out with the
experienced horse on the left/near side, since he was totally used to
traffic. And if anything scary came up from the side of the road, the
'greenie' would push into the experienced horse and the experienced one
would just keep him there. Once they were both good with traffic, we started
switching every couple of drives, and found in time that they were actually
better with the greenie on the near side. I can't really say why, but they
both seem happier this way. So when it really matters, the greenie is on the
near side, but the rest of the time, I keep switching every few drives.
Rachel