[drivingpairs] which side

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:31:16 EDT

We had two good answers, and from Rachel, the other from Sterling. Both make
sense.  Rachel putting the youngster on the right, to have him away from
traffic, and Sterling putting him on the left, so if he kicks, he would not get
the
driver, and then not taking him out into traffic until he has proven to be
ok. Both very valid points. Where I come from, we combine both, e.g. put the
youngster on the right, away from traffic, and for the first few times, when
kicking might be a possibility, drive from the left seat. And one of my good
friends in Germany who starts a few youngsters every year as part of his
business
believes in taking them into traffic the very first drive. He says, then they
are still so afraid of everything, as everything is new, they'll be just happy
to duck next to the experienced one and go along, and that way get used to
traffic as well right away.  When I asked if it would be safer to do the first
drive perhaps in a more familiar environment, like the back fenced pasture, my
friend said, absolutely not, that's where he is used to kick up his heels,
that's where he can act up. Don't want to give him too much safety and security
in
his mind. One way of loking at it, and as he starts a few each year so is
very experienced in what he is doing. Me, I'm not so sure, I don't think I'll
go
out through town on my first drive with a youngster, but he did it with me,
and it worked, and his horses do turn out traffic safe.  But he also says, the
first drive is usually not the problem, after a couple of drives, when you
think all is ok, then they'll think they can act up. But I guess, it also
depends
on each ersonality, age, experience etc etc. So just some food for thought
here.
Hardy