[drivingpairs] Re: pairs help

  • From: "Colleen Wing" <Storybookfarms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:06:11 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <Hzlax@xxxxxxx>
To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 9:33 AM
Subject: [drivingpairs] pairs help

You MUST be able to get your horses, ponies, minis to be
> RELAXED! Do a lot of WALKING. (I wrote long articles on the subject for
> example in the magazine Carriage Driving World, and won't repeat it all
here
> now, but that's the key to it, RELAXATION).

Although I am anxious to get my pair going, these few wrecks have slapped me
back to reality. And of course I highly value all the words of wisdom and
experience from those on the list who have loads of experience, especially
Hardy. I have found that he speaks the truth, no frosting on the cake. He
will tell you like it is. No matter how you feel about it, always read his
posts several times and you will see what I mean.
Now back to my guys. I am working on the relaxing exercises and have been
for several weeks now. So it is interesting to me that this subject keeps
coming up. I am listening! He is improving in leaps and bounds. I am still
at the ground driving stage, but he is learning to whoa and stand. A big
breakthrough came last week when we halted and he immediately rested one
foot. His top line is getting longer and I can see in his length of walk
that he is relaxing. I also have realized that since my older pony has never
driven in a pair, I will drive Lance as a single for probably a year. and
that will give me a while to gain more experience in the art of pairs.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all. May you all be blessed with good food, good
health, good friends and family, and last but not least, the love of a great
pony!(or horse):~)

Colleen Wing
Oakdale Pony Stud
Oakdale, CA USA
Driving ponies for the serious competitor!