[drivingpairs] pairs help

  • From: "Laurie Donaldson" <lbdonaldson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:29:08 +0000

Thanks, Hardy, for your reply and advice.  I do think I need to clear up a
few items on my part.  Previous to this drive, this pony pair had worked
very well together, going straight, and very relaxed.  I never would have
taken them on the drive otherwise.  Both do well as singles - in fact, the
pony who got her leg over the pole is very laid back.   Thinking back over
the incident for a few days now makes me think that I was so foolish in
taking them out in company so soon.  The pace was very quick with no walking
periods.  (We were told ahead of time that the drive would be at a leisurely
pace on mostly grass - instead it was at a horse's working trot all on
blacktop).  I should have had the foresight to walk them when I wanted and
not to stay with the drive.  The few steps that we did walk, the ponies
became very relaxed.    You are right about the brakes - both had breeching
but the brakes are not working on this little wagon - again a mistake on my
part to take them on such a long drive without the brakes.  Hindsight is so
accurate :)  As for underestimating my ponies because of their size, I can
tell you that, in this case, this was not the problem.   I fully understand
the strength of these ponies.  They are treated always as full-size horses
would be (I have both in my barn) and are very well-behaved because of it.
In this case, I think I overtaxed them - I asked too much and paid for my
own stupidity.    Their pulling at the beginning should have alerted me that
this was too much too soon for these ponies who try their best to please me.
  You're right about the pairs training for me as well.  I have been taking
some lessons from a good dressage person, but she admits she doesn't know
pairs well and I have only worked with singles with her.  (I have also been
reading your articles, Hardy!)  At any rate, you are right - I need help
with pairs driving - it is so different from a single in so many ways.
Don't worry, Hardy, I don't scare away easily.  I just want to correct my
mistakes and learn.  And when I do get back to pair driving, it will be
walking straight lines for a long while!  I won't be driving as a pair for
awhile now anyway, so I can ask questions here in the meantime.  Back to
singles work until I can get the harness repaired (the slide down the road
removed a few keepers and wore the trace down to where it needs to be
replaced - saved the pony's skin).  So, with that, here's another question:

One thing I have noticed that is quite different when driving these ponies
as a pair instead of single is that the response seems much more elastic.  I
can't describe it any other way - what is usually an instant response as a
single -  turning or stopping -  seems to be delayed or "stretchy" with the
pair.  These ponies are very responsive to voice and hand, so this surprises
me.  There also seems to be a lot of play - a major change in length of rein
when going down hill as opposed to flat.   Is this a normal feeling with a
pair?

Thanks for answering these pair-newby questions.  I will seek out a good
pairs instructor (Dana - are you here?)

Laurie