[drivingpairs] pairs help

  • From: "Laurie Donaldson" <lbdonaldson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 13:52:12 +0000

Thanks Dana, Anne, and Hardy for your replies.  I am feeling better about a
lot of things now after beating myself up for a few days about this (it's
funny how you can wake up in the middle of the night with this conversation
going on in your head and replaying the whole incident over and over).
Anyway, my thanks to Anne for helping me with the reins that day - that was
invaluable help.  (I hope you didn't get upset with my comment about not
knowing pairs that well - Anne is an awesome dressage person and has made me
aware of quite a few of my own lacking skills :) but she told me right off
that working pairs was a new experience for her as well.  So between her and
Dana (what luck to have two good trainers so close by), I should do better.
Hardy, you cleared up quite a bit for me with the harnessing.    The pole is
probably the right length, but the weight and low height of the pole might
be part of the problem.  There is a lot of weight on the ponies' necks.
Looking at pictures of pairs in books and calendars, I see that few have the
constant pull inward from the pole that mine has - I am assuming that these
poles have some sort of spring or attachment that holds up some of the
weight?  Dana, I would love your input, so please come over and give a look!

I also have a leather neck collar pairs harness.  I am wondering if this
might be easier on the ponies.  Any thoughts on this?  This has been a great
list - thanks for answering so many questions!  (I am interested in the bit
question, as well).

Laurie