[drivingpairs] new member with lots of questions

  • From: Mike & Marjean McIntyre <Tenpenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pairs Driving List <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:59:24 -0400

Hi,  I am Marjean McIntyre. Some of you will know me from the CD-L,  I ha=
ve
been driving an older horse at the upper levels of combined driving the
last few years but now I am wanting to start driving him pair with my new=

young horse that is coming up.  My older horse is a very experienced pair=

and four horse, having come from Jack Wetzel, and also having been driven=

in the past by Bill Long, so I have one experienced horse and one very
green one. =

My starting question has to do with harness.  I purchased a very nice use=
pair harness, but I have a few glitches getting it started, mainly with t=
he
breeching.  The breeching strap buckles into a complete circle.  I do not=

have a D ring on the girth to attach it down between the front legs with =
snap, and no false martingale.  I cannot pass it through the trace buckle=

and then under the keepers, as the keeper is not big enough for both
straps.  =

So here is the question. =

The straps are too short the way they are, to buckle back on themselves, =
so
I am going to have to get new ones regardless of how I end up connecting
them.  Would you just get longer ones, like the ones I have and buckle th=
em
in a big circle, through the leather opening and buckle for the trace, or=

would you have a D ring added to the girth and have straps made to connec=
between the front legs.  I have found out that alot of people apparently
prefer the yankee breeching that goes down between the legs, but to me, i=
looks like the circle on the side will work okay, and not require more
modifications.  My breastcollars don't have a D for a false martingale, s=
if I connect them to the girth, I won't have a false martingale on the
front.  Another option, would be to have the D added to the breastcollar,=

and then could I just put a ring in the loop of the false martingale arou=
nd
the girth, or do I need a D on the girth itself?  If I do that,  I would
think you would have pinching issues, between the loop of the false
martingale that the girth goes through, and the D on the back of the girt=
for the yankee britching. =

Is there a good reason I can't just stick with the current arrangement an=
just get longer straps, and not mess with trying to modify everything els=
e?

Hope this is all as clear as mud.  VBG Thanks in advance for any and all
help. =

Marjean =