[drivingpairs] Yankee Breeching

  • From: "The Stewarts" <stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:06:39 -0600

Re the link to the picture illustrating "yankee breeching."  One of our
first pony pair harnesses was made to convert to single, pair, or tandem.
The breeching when used in the pair configuration was set up like this
picture.  The harness still provided tugs for shafts when used single.  When
used pair, the tugs were replaced by little flat loops through which the
traces passed.  In other words, the breast collar did not buckle into the
saddle.

My picture of yankee breeching is where the breeching fastens to the harness
back strap in front of the crupper.  It then attaches to the girth and works
in conjunction with the false martingale like the breeching in the picture.
However, I have never actually seen (in person) this breeching or
(obviously) used it.  I know Lisa Singer uses it with her pairs and likes
it.  We have always wanted to give it a try.

Deryn Stewart in SNOWY Ponca City Oklahoma
We have about 10-12 inches on the ground.  Taller drifts.  Won't be doing
much riding or driving for a good while.