[drivingpairs] Re: Yankee Breeching

  • From: FriesianPrDriver@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:39:11 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2005 7:56:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
stewarts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"I have  a picture of Yankee Breeching that I got off the web in 02 from
Picturetrail.com.  I just checked, and I can't find it there now.   Here is
what
it says about it.
"Breeching passes over the top of the rump,  with slots for crupper fork.
Quarter straps pass under horse's belly and  clip into false martingale, as for
quarter strap breeching."

The  picture is shown with a kicking strap.  The yankee breeching fits in
front of the crupper where I fasten my kicking strap.  So I am guessing  the
kicking strap shown in this picture is slipped through one of the spaces  where
the hip strap of regular breeching usually goes.

Deryn  Stewart"
OK - I have a question.  When I received my pair horse harness, made  by an
Amish woman in PA, she put breeching on it that was called yankee  breeching,
but is not fashioned the way you describe above.  So perhaps  the above
description should be called draft style yankee breeching, and  the style that
attaches at the girth as opposed to the buckle in type (all  other attachments
the
same as buckle in) should be called modified yankee  breeching, or pleasure
style or something like that?

I was looking in the Smucker's Catalog, and the yankee breeching comes in
both styles above for drafts...so I'm confused....hmmmm, well at least I feel
better about having it now, hearing about how easily traditional buckle in
breeching can knock a pair off it's feet!  Now I know to  be a little more
careful with the ponies, as they have buckle in  breeching.

Karen  Wilkin
Star Cross Stable Friesian Horses & Sport Ponies
_www.starcrossstable.com_ (http://www.starcrossstable.com/)
47  Yellowbrook Rd.
Freehold, NJ 07728
732-919-3827