[drivingpairs] Re: yankee britching

  • From: Merrie Mills <mynorvegicus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 22:50:52 -0800 (PST)

Greetings all,

I have a pair harness with "yankee britchen."  I
bought it used out of Canada.  I can't compare its
efficacy to the standard style though because I have
brakes on my vehicle and we have very small hills here
on the edge of the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia.

The breeching attaches just in front of the crupper
and slopes down and under the belly to attach at the
girth.  The only advantage I can think of is that it
cannot possibly slide up under the horse's tail, since
it doesn't even go behind the horse at all.  I imagine
it could have had some inspiration from docked horses.
 Just think what could happen if, going down a hill,
the breeching slid up and instead of going under the
docked tail, bypassed it completely!  I've had some
close calls with regular breeching when I've had
ponies slip on pavement and go down to doggie-sit for
a moment.  Yankee britchen could not possibly slide
up.  And with a big strong draft butt, there is a lot
of muscle to brace against the sloping straps.

Laura

"My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed,
They're hanging from the cage door, waiting to be fed."

Remember:   STUPIDITY IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE!