[drivingpairs] Re: The Flying Frenchman - hollowbacked expressionless?

  • From: "Sue Millard" <sue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:45:40 -0000

Noel -- have you ever seen this young man working in reality? The
slightly blurry quality of the video may be enticing you to guess at
something that is actually not there, or misinterpret something that
is there.

I can assure you that he IS standing free - I have watched his act
from the side of the arena on several occasions and have been within
a few yards of horses and "rider". While he does wear soft soled
boots with perhaps resin on them, he isn't hanging on to anything and
there is no mechanical means of attachment to the horses in any of
the things he does. He just vaults up between them and away he goes.
How else could he do the jump over the high rope? What he uses during
the liberty part of the act is a pair of long slender sticks to touch
the horses' shoulders. There is no rope or twine round their necks or
bodies, for instance.

I admit he does sometimes have the long leader reins tucked into his
belt so he can raise his arms going over the wide jumps.

I too noticed the "i'm watching YOU matey" expression on the faces of
the liberty part of the act, but I'm afraid I can't explain why they
would do this to each other when loose, rather than with bridles on.
I have learned that it is usually wiser not to begin to guess when I
don't know.

Sue in the English Lakes
Intelligence is no defence against one's own stupidity
but it helps me to think up better excuses.