[drivingpairs] Tandems With 4 wheels

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:37:23 -0800 (PST)

<I must ask as I feel I'm missing something here. Why
do I never see mentioned the use of a 4 wheel Marathon
vehicle for Tandem? I own a Puddle Jumper for my Pair
that will convert from a pole to shafts. Could this
not be used?>

We used a 4-wheel vehicle for our second Tandem.  My
husband the driver, dislikes the motion of a cart.
Hates the bobbing action cart passengers get with only
one axle.  We have had a number of carts, ridden in
quite a few others, don't care for the motion.

He built our 4 wheeler himself.  It worked out very
well, gave him a good ride, easy on the Wheeler during
CDEs.  I like the vehicle as a single horse carriage
too.  We have used it to train a couple young horses
after the first few hitches to a cart.

There is no reason you can't do Tandem with a 4 wheel.
 Tradition has always put Tandem to a 2 wheeler.
Probably because it is/was enough excitement just
doing Tandem, less likely to turn over in 2 wheel
vehicles.  Like starting a colt, 2 wheels follow him
much better, no jack-knifing possible.  4 wheels do
give you an extra turning point, so you now have two
bending areas, in the Tandem turnout.  Easier to get
in trouble with turnout folding wrongly, if there is a
problem.

In a Pleasure show, you would probably be graded down,
using an untraditional vehicle to Tandem.  CDE, nobody
cares if it is a safe vehicle.  Just for fun?  Use
whatever you like.

Again, I would like to suggest Tandem drivers consider
the Leader bars as a connection for the front horse.
Bars allow you to shorten Leader traces, no chance of
them dragging on the ground.  Also with chest of
Wheeler as pivot point, Leader can't pull him around
as the can with traces hooked to keys.  They are easy
to make, you can make your own.  Newer designs, ideas,
have improved usefulness.  They DO NOT have to bash
the Wheeler face as stories from the past indicate.
Narrower width, connections between both bars, can
remove double swinging movement.  It is a bit more to
set up the wheeler but well worth the time in
advantages you gain with the Leader bars.

Very nice writing Dave, great words of wisdom.

Kathy Robertson