[drivingpairs] Re: Tandems With 4 wheels

  • From: "Diane Kastama" <dkastama@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:32:22 -0800

Just wondering how the groom leaps out of a 2 wheel fast:-)  I started my
boys in my 4-wheel as a tandem.  I think why I haven't really had many
tandem moments (not to say they won't happen) is that both of these horses
are experienced single horses and also go in a pair.  But I spend a lot of
time driving them single.  When I switched the leader and the wheeler though
I had the leader often wanting to drop back and be part of the pair.  I had
put him in the lead because he was more forward but he is also nervous and
worries a bit.  So I switched them back, my biggest problem is that my
leader gets lazy and just slows down, so to wake him up I do lots of
transitions between extended trot and collected since extended trots are his
favorite.  I can say I don't usually have to worry about him being in draft
:-)  And when he is real lazy I just drive him single or in the pair where
it is easier to get after him.  I haven't mastered a tandem whip yet.  Don't
even have one yet.  Guess I better get one.!  Biggest problem was when the
leader decided he needed to pee going up a hill.  So he stops and starts to
pee, meanwhile I  yell at him to get going and then the wheeler decided this
was takeing to much time he needed to pee, so I gave up and after the
wheeler pee'd the leader said well he got to finish so he went.  Meanwhile
I'm on a hill in the street and now there is a river running down it.LOL  I
did end up haveing my groom get down and go the leader just in case:-)
These boys do everything together.  Its real funny when driving them as a
pair and you stop and they both pee and pick up one of their front feet.
They wouldn't want to get splashed now would they.

Diane Kastama
(Arroyo Grande - Central Coast of CA)