[drivingpairs] Re: Pole bumping horse in the nose

  • From: "Terri Barker" <barker.terri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:44:51 -0800

Good morning everyone,
Thanks Hardy for your experienced words of wisdom.
I appreciate your time and consideration to answer all.
I agree that the alignment and degree of the pole combined with the
adjustment of the harness is the determining factor on where the pole end
will stay. You are right, I also have the harness adjust a  little tighter
than I would on a  single. I learned this by trial and error.
Another determining factor as to why the pole hits  the horse in the nose
may be due to the design of the pole itself.  I always enjoyed watching
other drivers on the marathon. It is quite exciting!  I have also witnessed
various different makes and models of  carriages. I was surprised to see
when some these pairs came through the hazards their fixed  poles were
bouncing anywhere from 2-4  feet in the air!   There needs to be some give
and take on a fixed pole  to allow for movement and terrain but  I felt this
was dangerous. My pole has about 1 1/2 feet, more or less, of play with a
good size shock absorber for rebound.
I do have a question. I too have noticed the trend is to have a yolk that
moves up, down, back and forth.
I can see the advantage in the marathon phase by moving the pole length back
to the breastcollar thus making tighter turns in the hazards. I hit the end
of my pole on a hazard making a tight turn. I was using my pole straps and
crab. A few more inches would have made the difference.
Question: By using that kind of  yolk,  wouldn't that put the inside horse,
on a turn, back a bit too far toward the carriage causing him to bang his
hocks? No amount of  harness adjustment  could compensate for that.
I appreciate your input.
Happy Thanksgiving next week!
Best wishes to all!!!
Terri Barker