[drivingpairs] Pole bumping horse in the nose

  • From: "Debbie Buick" <found1farm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:30:20 -0500

I was driving my pair of Morgans yesterday and the young one was wanting to
be too forward and strong, I brought him back in the reins, and I noticed on
circles the swivel pole end was very close to bumping him in the nose when
it bounced, which kept his head up higher.  This happens when he's on the
outside of the circle  on the marathon vehicle.  I wouldn't want to shorten
the pole any more, is this a problem?  Are they not adjusted properly?  The
pole is directly attached to the breast collar with quick releases.

I also use breeching when driving the pair.  Quite frankly I'm afraid not to
use it even though the carriage has breaks.  I guess I don't trust myself to
use the breaks when necessary and wouldn't want the carriage to run into
them!  I do see most pair drivers don't often use breeching.  Maybe I'm
overly cautious?

I am really having fun driving these two young horses, two peas in a pod,
full brother and sister, 3 1/2 and 6 1/2.  I only drive about every second
day as two days in a row the young guy backs off a bit the second day.  I
want him to stay enthusiastic and happy in his work.

Any ideas, let me know!

Debbie