[dokuwiki] Re: use dokuwiki as an intranet website

  • From: "Bob McConnell" <rvm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:01:55 -0400

That was my reaction as well. Dokuwiki won't be an issue, but make sure your
server can handle that level of traffic.

We set up Dokuwiki as a combination knowledge base and revision control for
development documents and discussions. It is currently being seeded by
developers and support staff, but is still mostly in the experimental stages.
Several groups of developers first played around with a public wiki, but
decided they needed an internal site when they wanted to discuss confidential
information. So that content was moved inhouse using Dokuwiki. There are
currently about 40 active users building the core content, with an expected
audience of 450+ scattered across North America and Australia. The Blog and
Draw plugins are very popular.

For our server, we are running Fedora Core 5 and Apache 1.3.34 on a Dell
PowerEdge with a pair of 1 GHZ Pentium 3 processors, 512MB RAM and two 18 GB
SCSI drives. Power comes through an APC SmartUPS 1400. The drives are brand
new, while the server itself is recycled. This computer is only running the
wiki and I expect we will have to add more memory once we open up access to the
full company. It has a Gigabit network connection, so we don't expect any local
bandwidth problems. Bandwidth to remote sites is already an issue even without
the wiki. But we expect growth pains like that occasionally.

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.
61 Brown Road