[dokuwiki] Re: use dokuwiki as an intranet website

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:33:03 +0200

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 04:12:18 +0100
Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> liushk wrote:
> > hi,all.
> >
> > i wanna use dokuwiki as an intranet website,
> > the site will has about 100 users, about 1,000 hits per-day, about
> > 100,000 pages
> >
> > is dokuwiki suitable?
> Andi, Ben, *,
>
> How would the current caching structure stand up to this?
>
> With 100,000 pages, I reckon there would be in excess of 12k files
> per cache directory.  Do modern file systems handle that many files
> in one directory without performance penalties or is there a need to
> configure DW to use the first "n" characters of the cache name to
> create a directory tree for the cache files?

I guess it depends on the file system (I heard Riser is best for many
small files). But modifying the cachename function could be helpful with
so many pages. But I guess there might be other problems as well but
until someone with so many pages tries it, we will never know ;-)

Having a lot of RAM in the server would be a really good idea anyhow to
have a big IO-Cache.

http://www.splitbrain.org