[dokuwiki] Re: Roadmap for next release

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:11:40 +0200

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:09:20 +0100
"Chris Smith" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some comments ...
>
> Related to your plugin specific js/css point.  I think there needs to
> be a way for a plugin to tell dokuwiki that it wants to put code into
> other parts of the page.

Yes that could solve some of the problems. That would mean my admin
plugin should use a non-standard named scriptfile and add it itself to
the head section of the page?

> I think there is a need for a plugin prefix or some sort.  Is
> "plugin_<plugin type>_" really that bad?

I didn't meant the name of the plugin. I just found
$this->plugin_locale_xhtml() a little bit cumbersome. Shouldn't be
$this->locale_xhtml() be enough? Or assuming an admin plugin will always
produce xhtml $this->locale() should be okay as well. Or am I misssing
something here?

> Can you explain what you mean by fall back to getInfo if no menuname
> is set? That to me says the plugin is improperly made.

Well I started with your skeleton plugin (and didn't do the second part
of the tutorial) and wondered why there wasn't anything in the menu.
Would have been nice if it had shown the plugin's name (maybe with a
FIXME behind) to signalize I'm on the right way...

> Admin plugin localisation is isolated from $lang - as long as "global
> $lang;" isn't used in the plugins lang.php file. The language strings
> are loaded into the $this->lang[stringname], and they can be accessed
> through the $this->getLang('stringname') function in the base admin
> plugin class.

Ah okay... I had only a very short look on it. Fine then.

> Even if you change away from "$lang", there is still the possibility
> of clashing with other plugins.

Hmm shouldn't $this->lang always be in it's own namespace (of the plugin
object) and never clash with other objects? Or did I misunderstood
something here?

> I have a number of things to fix for the plugin manager. I'll try to
> get them all done in the next few days and send a patch through. I can
> do the other changes mentioned above if you want to go that way.

Would be great :-)