[dokuwiki] Re: Roadmap for next release

  • From: "Chris Smith" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:53:19 +0100

Andi & others,

I have sent through a patch set which I believe covers most of things
related to admin plugins and the plugin manager that were discussed earlier.

- fix for missing styles before plugin manager creates aggregate files.
- fix for no menutext if plugin uses the base class getMenuText() method.
- remove "plugin_" prefix from admin plugin base class methods.  I have left
deprecated function wrappers to avoid failures in the other two released
admin plugins.  I guess these can be removed as soon as those two are
updated.
- localisation functions added to syntax plugin base class. These are
identical to the revised admin plugin functions. NOTE: I haven't tested them
in a syntax plugin - none of mine require any localisation.
- major update to plugin manager, incl. completed update function & fixed
missing version info.

Things not yet done, but mentioned:

- add a explanatory title to admin menu text, or perhaps an explanation of
the plugins function.
I know I mentioned this before. On reflection the plugin could handle this
itself when it its called, ie. after the menu link has been executed.
Therefore, is this required?

- each aggregate style sheet to have a unique filename, updated after each
refresh, to ensure browsers don't use an incorrectly cached version.  Nice,
but perhaps not urgent ??

- settings function. I am ambivalent about this, partly because I can't
think of a clean way for the plugin manager to interact with a plugin to
allow interactive configuration.  Any ideas are welcome :)

- documentation, admin plugin details, admin plugin tutorial, simple example
& plugin manager.
- update to syntax plugin tutorial and information (many plugins seem to
miss that styles should now be left in the plugin folder rather than editing
template files).

I am looking for ideas for a simple example admin plugin.  If there is
something useful someone wants and it isn't too involved please let me know.
My current thinking is to read page visit information per e.razor's page
visits mod.  But since that isn't part of standard dokuwiki it might not be
too useful.

Cheers,

Chris