[dokuwiki] Re: Plugin Manager

  • From: Matthias Grimm <matthiasgrimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:45:52 +0100

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:42:21 +0000
Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

> My questions are...
>
> - Have you been using the plugin manager?

Yes, I still use it.  ...sometimes... :-)

> - If so, have there been any problems, do you have any feedback on
> things that could do with changing/improving/fixing?

It doesn't install pugins directly. The download will always fail. I
never dig into this problem and it might be a simple permission issue.

It is irritating that the right side is empty and will first be filled
if I choose a plugin. Might it be possible to display the info for the
first plugin from the beginning?

> - Plugin Settings: Is it to appropriate to add ability to change a
> plugin's settings from the plugin manager and should that capability be
> added?
> (Alternatively, I can publish an extended plugin manager that isn't
> bundled with the main release or I can work the plugin settings handling
> into the config plugin).

Never thought about that. Maybe I should have a look at the config manager :-)

> - Installing templates is essentially the same as installing a plugin,
> is it worth extending the plugin manager to handle templates as well?

IMHO no. I don't change my templates very often ;-)

> - Two plugins are bundled with Dokuwiki, the plugin manager & info
> plugin.  The plugin manager can remove these two plugins.  Should the
> delete option be disabled for bundled plugins?

Don't think so. It is up to the user what he or she likes and both
plugins are not essential for DokuWiki. So let it as it is.

> PS. If anyone has any feedback on the user manager plugin and the config
> plugin I'd like to hear that too.  The last in the set, the housekeeper,
> to handle page/namespace movement, attic pruning, changleog reducing,
> cache purging,  wiki archiving and others tasks should not be too far away.

Because I currently adapt the mysql module to the new OO auth system, I
often use the user manager. I really like it but there is no program
that can't be improved :-) So here is my list:

1. The filter settings were displayed above the input fields. I would prefer
   to keep the filters inside the text input fields. This makes it possible
   to change a filter. Currently you always need start from scratch. And the
   list display won't "jump (down)" anymore.
2. The user list display might become too wide for small displays. I would
   move the checkbox (delete) buttons to the first cloumn and remove the
   heading. Furthermore I would replace the "edit" buttons with small icons.
   We could use the pencil icon from the upload dialog, for example.
3. We shouldn't allow any search patterns and wildcards in the filters. I
   think your plain_class.php allows regular expressions but a SQL database
   is not able to handle this and I don't want to do it by hand. I think it
   would be sufficient to limit filters to partly words here.

That's all for now. A really nice piece of software I have really missed
since the beginning. I would have patched it myself but the mysql module wasn't
as easy as I thought and it will take some additional time. So feel free to
start. I will join later :-)

  Best Regards
    Matthias