[dokuwiki] Re: Minor edits question

  • From: Esther Brunner <esther@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:48:33 +0200

Some remaining issues:

(1) Since a small edit might be significant on some wiki (not likely
splitbrain), maybe a minor edit is a 1 or 2 line edit for which no summary was
given.

Yes. Or maybe somebody comes up with a better suggestion.

(2) As long as all edits make it into the change log (and hence revision
lists), it's not clear to me that we need to restrict minor edits to logged in
users.

I want to monitor what anonymous users do through the feed and/or subscription mail. If I'm right, the minor edit feature makes most sense in a wiki with logged in users who know what they're doing and care about the quality of the wiki -- and don't wanna flood others with changes that don't need the attention of other users.

(3) If we do restrict minor edits to logged in users, how does 'requiresums'
affect non-logged-in users? I suspect that 'requiresums' would render the wiki
unusable by non-logged-in users.

No, not at all. They would just be required to explain the change(s) they made by giving a summary, else they can't save the page.

(4) If we aren't requiring summaries for minor edits, what is the behavior of
'requiresums' for logged in users? I personally need a warning if I forget to
enter a summary, even if the warning just asks me whether I'd like to
consequently record the edit as minor.

Do what you like better.

(5) In addition to excluding minor edits from the feed, do we exclude them from
page subscriptions? Part of me says, Yes, if they're minor, subscribers don't
care. Part of me says, No, since I may be taking ownership of the quality of
the page and want to be able to immediately eliminate spam.

This is why I'd like to restrict minor edits to logged in users, see (2). The discussion on minor edits came up first when the page subscription feature was new and people started getting lots of not very necessary mails.

-- esther