[dokuwiki] Re: Cannot edit pages, only says Show Page

  • From: Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:21:06 +0100

sports tg schrieb am 22.11.2006 23:42:
> Hi  Werner,
>
> Thanks for taking all the time with the detailed reply. I think in my
> ignorance I led you astray. I have dokuwiki installed on a linux box running
> mandrake. I have some mysql/php stuff on the web server there too. I thought
> that meant lamp but it soumds like it does not. I am not very linux versant
> at all as you may have gathered and did not follow a lot of your mail. I do
> not know how to find out / set the user wwwrun and group www.
>
> I installed dokuwiki under /var/www/html. From your mail I gathered the
> recomendation was a reinstall. Here are the steps I took :
> 1. rm -rf dokuwiki
> 2. tar -xzvf dokuwiki-2006-11-06.tgz
> 3. mv dokuwiki-2006-11-06 dokuwiki
> 4. http://tyk/dokuwiki/install.php reported :
>
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/conf/ is not writable by DokuWiki. You need
>    to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data is not writable by DokuWiki. You need
>    to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data/pages is not writable by DokuWiki. You
>    need to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data/attic is not writable by DokuWiki. You
>    need to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data/media is not writable by DokuWiki. You
>    need to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data/meta is not writable by DokuWiki. You
>    need to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data/cache is not writable by DokuWiki. You
>    need to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>    - {DOCUMENT_ROOT}/dokuwiki/data/locks is not writable by DokuWiki. You
>    need to fix the permission settings of this directory!
>
> I want to get it right this time. Where is the script that Kite is talking
> about?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Tom.

Ah yes, now I know where you installed the files and what to set and where.
But I still do not know the user and group your apache needs.

At least your apache sees the files and has read access, so the question
is: who has to own the files?
- -> what does "ls -l /var/www/html" show? The directory itself should be
owned by the user:group apache runs as.
- -> if not: somewhere your apache is started. To start it, the user and
group to run as must be known. Apache's config is in /etc/httpd or
/etc/apache2 (I do not know where mandriva stores it). Somewhere in the
config directory must be a file (that is included from httpd.conf) where
the user and group is given.
+ locate this config directory and cd there (in my case: cd /etc/apache2)
+ enter: find -L . -name "*.conf" | xargs grep -i "User "
  and you will get output like:
./uid.conf:User wwwrun
+ enter: find -L . -name "*.conf" | xargs grep -i "Group "
  and you will get output like:
./uid.conf:Group www
  this tells you a) the file where user and group are set (in my case,
/etc/apache2/uid.conf) and b) the values they are set to. I will refer to
the values as [founduser] and [foundgroup] from here on.

When you got this info[*], you can go back (cd /var/www/html) and set the
right rights ;-):

a) chown -R [founduser].[foundgroup] dokuwiki
b) find dokuwiki -type d | xargs chmod 775
c) find dokuwiki -type f | xargs chmod 664
d) chmod 2775 dokuwiki

a) will set the owner of the dokuwiki dir and all subdirs to
[founduser].[foundgroup] - please type the names you fund instead of these
placeholders ;-)
b) will allow full access to dokuwiki's subdirs to [founduser] and all
members of [foundgroup] plus read access to all other users
c) will do the same to all files in the dokuwiki directory tree
d) sets the "gid" bit on the dokuwiki directory, so that any file created
inside this directory will belong to the group [foundgroup]

After these steps are taken, you should have write access to your DW
installation via browser, the complaints of install.php should be gone.

When you log in as Admin and configure DW
(http://tyk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start&do=admin&page=config), you will see
2 fields for directory and file rights. Set the directory rights to 0775
and the file rights to 0664.

Then, you can add your own user id to the group [foundgroup] by simplay
adding your id to the line in /etc/group that starts with [foundgroup].
After the next login, you will have write access to the files on os level too.

[*] when you did not get this info, please search the documentation that
came along with your distro for the user and group id apache runs as... Or
ask in a web forum or a newsgroup or... maybe
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#user or
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mpm_common.html#group helps?

HTH,
Werner

- --
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
UFZ Umweltforschungszentrum Leipzig-Halle GmbH,
Permoserstr. 15 - 04318 Leipzig
Tel.: (0341) 235-3921 - Fax (0341) 235-453921
http://www.ufz.de - eMail: werner.flamme@xxxxxx