[dokuwiki] Re: Cannot edit pages, only says Show Page

  • From: Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:58:04 +0100

sports tg schrieb am 13.11.2006 23:08:
> Werner,
>
> Thanks for the mail.
>
> Whom do the files belong to? The group's should be the one that your
>> webserver runs with. You do not need 777 then, 750 will do (for
>> directories, and 640 for files).
>

> The files are all mine. I tried a
> chmod 750 dokuwiki/data and all the other directories but then when I did
> ls -l data/pages
> ls: data/pages: Permission denied
> So I went back to 777.
This can't be right. If the files belong to you and the rights of all files
and directories are set to 750, you will not get "Permission denied",
because you are the one with "7" rights ;-)

Besides, "chmod 750 dokuwiki/data" sets the rights of the directory, not
for the contents of the directory. You have to enter "chmod -R 750
dokuwiki/data" to have the rights given recursively.

> For example, when you do a ls -l in data/pages, you should see something
>> like
>> - -rw-rw----  1 tom    www     413 Nov 12  2006 start.txt
>> In this case, the file belongs to user tom and group www (assumed that
>> your
>> webserver runs with group www).
>

> I have no files in pages just a directory. This directory has 2 directories
> and then there i one more layer in one of the branches before the  files are
> listed. I tried doing a chmod 777 on all these branches. Looking at the
> permissions on the files I get :
>
> -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         3450 Nov 11 20:32 file1.txt
>

>> When you do a "chgrp www data" and "chmod 2770 data" (from the dokuwiki
>> root dir) all files created in the data directory will automatically
>> belong
>> to the www group (because of the gid bit set). And when you have
>> "$conf['fmode'] = 0664" and "$conf['dmode'] = 0775" in your
>> conf/local.php,
>> you should be able to edit all files.
>

> chpgrp www data gave an invalid group.  Then I added the 2 lines to the
> local.php, still the same. Then I did
> chmod 2770 data
> and now I can't get a dojuwiki setup error message and can't see any of the
> site.
>
> Sorry for my lack of linux knowledge.
>
> thanks, Tom.

Tom,

your machine runs a web server to access your wiki through, right? You need
to know under which user id and group id this web server runs. The "www" in
my example is the group the web server on my machine uses. On yours, it may
be "wwwdata", "wwwrun", "daemon" or whatever. You have to find out, I can't
from here ;-) When you have apache, you'll find one line beginning with
"User" and one line beginning with "Group" in httpd.conf (in fact, on my
suse 10.0 it's in /etc/apache2/uid.conf, which is included from httpd.conf,
and the lines read "User wwwrun" and "Group www"). I do not know where to
look for in other web servers.

Then it's best to change the owner of whole dokuwiki subdirectory to either
the web server's user and group (then you have to add yourself to the web
server's group) or your id plus the web server's group. This is done for
example via "chown -R tom.whatever dokuwiki" (when your web server runs
with group id whatever).

The entries in local.php only work when a new page is created by your
webserver (that means, by DokuWiki). This does not affect existing pages.

HTH,
Werner

- --
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
UFZ Umweltforschungszentrum Leipzig-Halle GmbH,
Permoserstr. 15 - 04318 Leipzig
Tel.: (0341) 235-3921 - Fax (0341) 235-453921
http://www.ufz.de - eMail: werner.flamme@xxxxxx