[directmusic] Re: Volume progression

  • From: "Saul Bottcher" <saul.bottcher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:00:38 -0500

Hey Todor,

> Also, you would find linear control of volume equally unsatisfying. For
> that, every halving in sound would equal 6dB, which would mean
> everything would be clustered at the bottom.

    I'm not sure I'd dislike that.  dB might be natural for analog audio
folk, but there's certainly nothing confusing about the concept that 50% =
"half" and 25% = "one quarter", is there?  Percentage volume is pretty
common among digital tools and nobody seems to have trouble with it.
    At least, it certainly seems to me that using a *third* curve makes
things less intuitive for *everybody*, whether their tools background is
analog or digital.  Or am I missing something?

    Saul.