[directmusic] Re: Volume progression

  • From: "Todor Fay" <todor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:27:35 -0800

The scaling is correct. DLS specifies it in percentage of dB. That's why
you see most of the action in the top 10%. Now, that's not to say that
DLS Designer shouldn't make it easier...

Also, you would find linear control of volume equally unsatisfying. For
that, every halving in sound would equal 6dB, which would mean
everything would be clustered at the bottom.

That's why MIDI volume and velocity have this really funky curve that is
optimized to get the best out of 127 levels, and it does indeed feel
about the right fit (for example, when you drag volume in the band
window.) I forget the equation, but if somebody wants it I can look it
up. It's also part of the DLS spec.

Todor