[directmusic] Re: Volume progression

  • From: "Bjorn Lynne" <bjorn.lynne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:59:01 -0000

>     If I remember correctly, it's using "hundredths of a decibel" as
units,
> so "-9600L" is really -96db.
>     Since -6db (-600L) means "half the volume", you'll need to use an
> exponential curve that increases twice as much during each time period to
> give a linear-sounding fade.

Actually, this got me thinking about the odd volume scaling on the ADSR
envelope in the instrument designer. If you set the Sustain of an instrument
to 100%, it's at max volume, but if you put it down to 90%, it seems to drop
a LOT more than 10% of the volume - in fact, it goes nearly silent. It seems
that the entire range of volume is covered in the 90-100% and if you want to
tweak the level, you've got to try things like "98%", "97%" etc. which seem
to be a lot different just within that one percent. And anything under 90%
is just quiet. Well almost.

Anybody else find this a bit odd?

--
Bjorn Lynne - Composer, Producer, Sound Designer
Main music site: www.lynnemusic.com