[Debatewise RRT] Re: your debates fix

  • From: "Alex Helling" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:34:48 -0000

I guess it is time for my list of who has taken what then!

Corrupt officials -

Obama Europe - Kim

Agricultural aid - Tim

Apologise to transported children - Sarah

Republican party - ellena, Tommy would also like to do, so if you are
willing to do a side each that would be useful

Licence fee paying for regional news - helen

Railway stations - Marie

Violent gene - Lewis

Qatar buys the world cup - Jasmin

Managing Scotland - Antti

So only one left is 'should corrupt officials be banned from travelling to
the west?'

Regards,

Alex

From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Debatewise RRT] your debates fix

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:51:34 +0000

Good Afternoon,

                                    If anyone if fluent in French please
read the most recent debate and see if you can respond at all. I have no
idea if the French is asking the same as the English, would be useful to
know, as Nadia has already mentioned the English version does not really
lend itself to the debate format very well.
http://www.debatewise.com/debates/1396

I don't think I have much more to add except a big general thank you to all
of you for keeping on writing debates for the site, particularly now as
Debatewise HQ is almost totally focused on the Global Youth Panel and
Copenhagen Conference rather than adding content to site.

Thanks,

Alex

Debates:

Should corrupt officials be banned from travelling to the west?

Many dictators amass large amounts of money from the country they rule, this
is either from acquiring tax revenues or from appropriating state businesses
or the natural resources of the state. This damages the country's economy in
countries that often have large proportions of the population in poverty
while the country's elite plunder the state's resources. Nonetheless these
people are not only recognised as being the legitimate government
representing the people of these countries but are allowed to travel where
they like, often spending their resources abroad. Should the west prevent
these officials from visiting?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4729119.stm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/us/17visa.html?scp=1&sq=rich%20african%20o
fficial&st=cse

Is Obama rejecting Europe?

Europe was worried that George Bush was too warlike and rightwing compared
to most of Europe. However he did engage in his own way, he pursued
partnerships with various European powers; Britain, Spain, Italy as well as
Eastern Europe. He was involved in encouraging Europe to accept Turkey.
Obama may not be at loggerheads with 'old' Europe but he does seem to be
ignoring it. Surely the US president should have been there to celebrate the
20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. French President Sarkozy
has not yet had an official visit to Washington since Obama took office.
Should Europe be worried about a seeming US preference for a 'G2'?

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/article.aspx?id=4615

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/nov/02/obama-europe-
relations

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/10/29/europes_obama_fatigue

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/world/europe/17iht-politicus.html?_r=1&scp
=1&sq=Europe%20relations&st=cse

The developed world must commit to agricultural aid of $44bln.

A target to eradicate hunger by 2025 seems to be falling by the wayside
along with proposals to spend the $44 billion per year that is needed to
help meet this target. It is not through eternally handing out food to the
needy that we will be able to reduce the hunger in the world it is by
improving the agriculture in those countries that are affected by hunger. We
need to provide the resources to allow them to grow their way out of the
problem. However $44billion is a lot of money, money that many countries, at
the tail end of a recession do not have to spare.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/world/17food.html?scp=1&sq=agriculture%20a
frica%20aid&st=cse

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2009-11-12-food-summit-dilutes-hunger-and-aid-ta
rgets

Gordon Brown not Kevin Rudd should be apologising to those children forcibly
transported to Australia.

Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has apologised to those who were
forcibly relocated while still children from Britain from the 1920s to the
1950s to provide a white workforce for the empire and dominions. They were
told their families were dead when they were not and many were abused in
Australian homes. Gordon Brown has said he will apologise in the new year.
It was Britain that committed the greater wrong and should apologise rather
than Australia who were acting as recipient for British Government policy.
Should out current PMs even be apologising for something they had nothing to
do with?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australias-apology-to-tr
ansported-children-1779652.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/acknowledge-suffering-of-forgotte
n-kids/story-e6frg6ux-1225798810363

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6575200/Gordon-Brown-to-apologise-for
-Britains-shameful-child-migration-policies.html

The Republican party needs to broaden its base if it is to regain power.

During George Bush's presidency the Republican Party did not seek to hold a
broad base of support, rather it turned to the right to give it electoral
success. It would mobilise the religious on issues like abortion and
encourage them to vote. The republicans now need to decide if they are to
keep to a far right strategy or move more to the centre, embracing fiscal
conservatives who have been increasingly marginalised in recent years.

http://www.newamerica.net/publications/articles/2009/how_can_republicans_rep
air_their_brand_10751

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/feb/24/republican-pa
rty-personal-responsibility-cpac

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/us/politics/16crist.html?scp=2&sq=republic
an%20party&st=cse

Should commercial TV stations be allowed to use BBC license fees to pay for
regional news programmes?

The BBC gains an immense advantage over commercial TV channels in its
gaining the TV license fee to pay for its programs rather than having to
rely on advertisers. However the other terrestrial TV stations also provide
some public broadcasting, particularly in news programming. ITV is finding
it difficult to justify keeping regional news running but it is a public
good so should the money come out of the BBC's purse?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/16/digital-britain-bbc-licence
-fee

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/articl
e6839113.ece

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_rad
io/article6919507.ece

Are our railway stations in need of a radical make over?

Some of Britain's railway stations are dilapidated and not fit for purpose,
they are not places you would want to spend any time waiting for your train
at. Signs may not be helpful, with little disabled access and no real time
information to tell you if your train is on time, more needs to be spent to
make stations friendly and accessible. Britain does have some very good
railway stations, for example St Pancras which is a shopping hub as well as
an architectural gem. There is also not an infinite amount of money to pay
for the railways, we need more capacity and faster lines so should money go
there rather than upgrading stations?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8363621.stm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6920046.ece

despite the reports having spent a couple of hours in Manchester Victoria
(the times lowest ranked station) waiting for a train towards Leeds a year
ago I thought it was quite nice, large and impressive... sure there were
very few services or people because of that so it was a bit run down, what
do you expect? companies can't have loads of staff in a station maintaining
it if they have very few trains running from it.

After an Italian murderer had his sentenced reduced due to having "violent
gene", could DNA profiles be used as a defence in criminal courts?

Walter Perez was murdered for taunting a Muslim man, Abdelmalek Bayout,
about wearing eye makeup. The Murderer was sentenced to nine years. This has
however been reduced because, according to scientists, he possesses five
genes known to be associated with violent behaviour. Should this behavioural
genetics have any influence in court. No matter that he may be predisposed
towards violence this is no reason to murder a stranger for a minor
misdemeanour.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/genetics/article6919130.ece

http://www.bioedonline.org/news/news.cfm?art=5784

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18098-murderer-with-aggression-genes-g
ets-sentence-cut.html

Should Qatar be allowed to "buy" their way to hosting the 2022 football
World Cup?

Qatar does not seem like an obvious world cup host. The host country needs
to have numerous large high quality stadiums so as to be able to support
numerous matches a day during the first round. Qatar is a small country with
a population of around a million of which only about 350,000 are citizens.
This in turn is could mean problems with a lack of accommodation for
thousands of fans or if they can't get in then there are not sufficient
numbers of natives to fill the stadiums. Meanwhile there are other
challenges, the world cup is in the middle of summer making a desert country
an unattractive prospect. However Qatar does have one alluring thing, lots
of money - money that can help surmount all the problems, either
geographical or political.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=32710

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/patrick_barclay/article691
6316.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/owen_slot/article6919271.e
ce

Does it matter who manages Scotland?

Scotland manager George Burley has been sacked after a run of poor
performances by the Scotland team. The SFA decided to fire him after defeats
in friendlys to Japan and Wales with Scotland already having failed to
qualify for the world cup. But who are Scotland kidding, of course we are
likely to meet many defeats, we are a small nation and no matter how big our
passion for the game we can't overcome the greater range of options for
players that the big teams have. It is not possible to turn a team from a
small country of 5million into world beaters, so does it matter who Scotland
pick as a manager?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8361602.stm

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/scotland-job-a-po
isoned-chalice-1.932545

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-scottish-football/the-candidates-to
-replace-burley-1.932550

p.s. if there are any Scots out on the RRT don't be offended, I am too, just
engaging in a bit of pessimism!

Use Revisewise @ http://revisewise.debatewise.com/

  _____

Add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps. Find
<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394593/direct/01/>  out how.