[Debatewise RRT] Re: extra friday debates!

  • From: nadia siddiqi <nadshi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 15:05:20 +0500

I'm dropping osama/obama
and taking these two instead:

*England got an easy draw for the world cup.*
England has been drawn against USA, Slovenia and Algeria in the world cup.
This seems like an easy group. It is certainly not a group of death. However
if a team wants to win the world cup they have to face the difficult teams
eventually so does it matter?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/04/england-world-cup-2010?CMP=AFCYAH
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/finaldraw/news/newsid=1143550.html#england+hope+avoid+us+repeat

*Art needs beauty.*
Until the twentieth century Art was mostly about beauty or perfection. Art
had to stand apart from everyday life and give someone pause. Art has
however morphed into including ugly things, or everyday items that are
simply classed as 'art' because someone says it is. How are the critics
taken in by this! should there be certain minimum standards for something to
qualify as art?
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/the-saturday-essay-our-modern-age-requires-a-new-definition-of-beauty-1073410.html
http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/M046
http://www.objectivistcenter.org/showcontent.aspx?ct=958&h=53