[ddots-l] Re: question about microphone gain input

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:34:58 -0500

Trim should be set if you're using a mixer, for the recording and calibrated to
0VU, usually this can be done with a light probe if there is an LED column as
with Mackies on each channel, or with an audible VU meter.  Get that correct
for each mic, according to the signal value coming in, then round out your
pre-fader EQ and fader level.

Nick

  From: omarbinno@xxxxxxxxx
  To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [ddots-l] question about microphone gain input
  Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:00:26 -0400

  Hello,

  I have my vocal mic plugged into my Fireface Soundcard. When one of my female
clients records vocals, I end up having to turn up the gain quite a bit.
However, I notice when I speak or sing into the mic, I need the gain up only
half way. Is it usually the case that gain input on the soundcard or mixer
changes from singer to singer, or does it usually stay at the same level.

  Thanks.

  Omar Binno

  Website: www.omarbinno.com
  AIM: LOD1116
  Skype: obinno1

  Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web’s latest sports
videos. Check it out.

05:58:00