[ddots-l] Re: question about microphone gain input

  • From: "Omar Binno" <omarbinno@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:43:16 -0400

Bryan,

I do use 24-bit recording, and from what I've read, the RME Fireface's preamps
and converters are pretty high end. Yes, no? Having said that, I notice that I
need to turn the gain input on the fireface to about 75 percent in order to get
this female's voice to reach about -7 on the peak meters in sonar. Any thoughts?

Omar Binno

Website: www.omarbinno.com
AIM: LOD1116
Skype: obinno1
  From: omarbinno@xxxxxxxxx
  To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [ddots-l] question about microphone gain input
  Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:00:26 -0400

  Hello,

  I have my vocal mic plugged into my Fireface Soundcard. When one of my female
clients records vocals, I end up having to turn up the gain quite a bit.
However, I notice when I speak or sing into the mic, I need the gain up only
half way. Is it usually the case that gain input on the soundcard or mixer
changes from singer to singer, or does it usually stay at the same level.

  Thanks.

  Omar Binno

  Website: www.omarbinno.com
  AIM: LOD1116
  Skype: obinno1

  Windows LiveT Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web's latest sports
videos. Check it out.