[ddots-l] Re: appropriate sound interface

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 01:06:03 -0400

In general we recommend Texas  Instruments for firewire chipsets on daws. In
the case of the saffire line, focusrite recommends texas instruments or Via.
There are 2 specific chipsets they recommend for texas instruments (doesn't
mean others won't work), and I think 1 from Via. There's a pdf on their site
with these details, just search on www.focusrite.com for firewire
compatibility. This is always a hit or miss type of thing, some people have
had great luck with texas instruments chipsets, either built in to the
motherboard or as an add-on card, and yet others have had to switch to a via
card to get good results.

One thing I might add, depending on how much low latency you are looking to
get, saffires (like most firewire devices) use the dice II chipset system,
which does not work extremely well under heavy load and low latency (64/128
buffers etc). Your milage may vary (also depends on your system and
configuration). The saffire pro40 is my first firewire/dice II device, so
I'm testing to see what it's like. I have a feeling though that nothing will
be better than a PCI/PCIE interface, and RME is king of the hil, (and the
valley for that matter), when it comes to that...

This is not to steer you away from these fine  units which are killer deals
considering the preAmps and the price/features, but just want to give you
the full report...

HTH, D!J!X!