[dd251] Re: Piping For Sprinklers and Water Mist Systems

  • From: Jeannette Baxter <j.baxter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dd251@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:06:23 +0100

on 23/1/03 6:16 pm, Peter Ferries at PFerries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>=20
> I'm not sure why anyone would want to consider using an unapproved piping
> material in any sprinkler system. Is the cost saving so great? The materi=
al
> content in the piping alone for a typical residential system is quite sma=
ll,
> and all of the approved materials are quite easy to install. In view of
> this, why take the risk?
>=20
> As a matter of interest, I'm not aware that any piping material has been
> tested and/or approved for use on water mist systems. No doubt our water
> mist system members will let me know if I'm wrong.
>=20
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Residential Sprinkler Forum
> Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/dd251
> WebSite: www.dd251.org.uk
> To unsubscribe from the list, send an email to
> dd251-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx  with =93unsubscribe=94 in the Subject line or
>=20
>=20
Think you missed the point of the question.  The reason why copper or rigid
plastic piping cannot be used is because you cannot notch these particular
type of joists and you are limited by  drilling through them  as you affect
their integrity.  That's why I'm asking.  Unless of course you can come up
with the solution?

I am in no way advocating the use of non approved material, but do we have
to admit defeat and say we cannot protect certain  types of property?  It i=
in no way anything to do with costs in this instance.  I have been told tha=
flexible piping has the lowest possible fire rating,( ie non existent!) but
what I was  asking is could it be considered when it is concealed in those
areas that have minimum of 30 mins fire resistance?

Perhaps the housebuilders using  such joists would like to comment?=20