[softwarelist] Re: duotone pictures in pdf

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:47:47 +0100

In message <ec3e07e14e.arnold@arnold.?>, Arnold van der Heijden <info@xxxxxxxxx> writes

In mailtje <4641AEB9.3080606@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef je:

Well, uhh, no. For example: a duotone, starting with 100% black and
50% magenta in Ovation ends up with 80% black, 60% magenta, 40%
yellow and some cyan in pdf. We got the prints back from the printcompany
today and it look's ... nice (printing black as black and magenta as a
spotcolour), but it's so much different from the result in former days:
printing seperated postcript files.

Two things.

(1) Have you got Direct PostScript set in OPW Print choices

(2) If you don't have Direct PostScript set (and are not using a PostScript based driver), then your CMYK colours will be converted to RGB using the settings in OPW colour choices.

I think there may be another point. How is the PDF generated? Some PDF printer drivers work using PostScript (Adobe for example) and can be expected to use the CMYK colour model. Others are based around Windows meta files (as are most printer drivers), if you use one of those then the print file will be turned into RGB.