[softwarelist] Re: duotone pictures in pdf

  • From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ovation Pro List <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 20:11:40 +0100 (BST)

In <URL:news:local.opro> on Wed 09 May, David Pilling wrote:
> In message <4641AEB9.3080606@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick Kaijaks
> <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> >As I recall in OP, you have two different colours as endpoints, and
> >create a single curve between them. It's not as subtle an effect, and
> >not as flexible as a duotone, but it shouldn't introduce any other
> >colours either...
>
> Nick glad to hear you're still with us.
>
> So with a true duotone, one could have spot colours as the two end
> points and just output fractions of them along the way - no made up
> process colours.

Not my previous understanding, nor my reading of Nick's post.

True duotones are a greyscale printed in 2 spot colours, probably with
different contrast curves for each spot colour. The endpoints for each
being between 0% and 100% of the single spot colour. You still get a
paper-colour background.

For example you might print the greyscale in green but the shadow areas look
a bit weak so you duotone with black printing only in the shadow areas to
give a richer tonal range.

I have a vague recollection of discussing this about 5 years ago. To get a
concept example I had to place the greyscale image onto 2 spot colour layers
in Opro, process each appropriately and then print the spot colour layers
separately to an inkjet printer (where the spot colours were rendered as
cmyk), re-feeding the paper to get an approximation of what the offset litho
printer would achieve with a true duotone.

Anthony

--
ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx