[softwarelist] Re: Windows version has "stopped working"

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:11:20 +0100

In message <470F4D50.7070000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Jennings <aoum51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

The Windows messages are not really helpful. When I try to run Ovation Pro I get two in succession which just say: "OvnPro has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." This is followed by: "OvnPro has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I've not heard of those messages before but they sound like a variation on the usual thing when a program crashes - Windows attempts to protect the simple user from this truth and tries to do something online. Sometimes there is a button that lets you obtain more information about why the program has crashed.

I normally start Ovation Pro from a short cut on the desktop but I have also been trying clicking on the "OvnPro" application in the Program Files Ovation Pro folder.

Clicking direct on the .exe should be fine, but why do something different to what should work - start OP from the Windows Start menu.

I have tried uninstalling the program using the Ovation Pro "Uninstall" application. I get a message that the program has been uninstalled but it is still in the folder!

There may be a reason for that, for example you have some sort of protection system installed. Another reasons is that OP may be uninstalling from another place to the one you're looking at.

Shall I try reinstalling Ovation Pro from the original disc and then upgrading again or will the two copies now on the computer, and seemingly unable to be uninstalled, affect that?

What strikes a chill into me is the bit about two copies. I would be inclined to remove all the program files from the hard disc by hand - you can use search to find OvnPro.exe then remove the folders which contain it and all the other files. Then install the latest version from the web site.

When you get rid of the folders containing the program, you still have some of the Ovation Pro installation left - that is the user specific data. You'll find this in a folder with a name like:

C:\Documents and Settings\David Pilling\Application Data\DavidPilling\OvationPro

In this the first "David Pilling" is the user name - Peter for example.

Unless you have precious user settings I'd remove this folder too.

You then have a clean copy of the latest version.

After all this, there may be a bug in the program, for example it may crash if you have a particular number of fonts installed. The point being that something you changed outside the program may reveal a problem.