[softwarelist] Re: SATA on a RiscPC! :-) And USB?

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 11:25:07 +0100

In message <OF940386CE.F99C54BA-ON80257CD7.0034B4D0-80257CD7.00352EB0@
Quantel.Com>
          andy.ling@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> The fantasy product I imagine is something which has a disc interface
> on
>>> one end, and lets you insert a USB mass storage device into the other.
>>

> I seem to have missed the original email, so I may have got the wrong
> end of the stick, but are you talking about this sort of thing

> http://www.ebuyer.com/411916-sandberg-usb-all-in-1-hard-disk-link-133-43

> Plug a disk in one end and you get a USB drive.

> Or are you talking about the "On the go" USB interface. I have
> disk caddies that support "On the go". You put a disk drive
> in the caddy. Then plug a USB mass storage device in (e.g.
> the memory card from your camera), press a button and everything
> on the mass storage device is copied to the disk drive.

> HTH

> Andy Ling

I think what he's after has a USB input and an IDE output, so you plug
it into the motherboard interface of a RISC PS, and use USB discs.

I suspect the snag will be limitations on what IDE can handle. I think
there are significant limitations to disc size, and modern USB devices
will exceed that.

Better to get a Unipod or other USB podule and plug the disc into
that.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx