[softwarelist] Re: Positioning of embedded lines above the text baseline

  • From: "John Grogan" <johngrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:32:01 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "JMAH van Vredenburch" <janvredenburch@xxxxxxxx>
To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 6:01 PM
Subject: [softwarelist] Re: Positioning of embedded lines above the text baseline

In message <000e01c75048$2649d9f0$9601a8c0@PC01>
     "John Grogan" <johngrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In Ovation Pro, an embedded frame is rendered with its bottom edge on
the text baseline (see Manual p105) but I see that an embedded
[horizontal] line is rendered with its bottom edge half its thickness
above the text baseline.  In other respects - e.g. the repositioning
of the baseline to accommodate the embedded line - the embedded line
is treated as if it sat directly on the baseline.  A thick line
embedded in a line near the top of a frame may thus extend above the
top of a frame.  Is this intentional?

I see no way to reproduce what you state. Can you send me per direct
mail an example, please.

--
Greetings,
JohnvV   -  janvredenburch@xxxxxxxx

Hello, John,

Sorry - only just seen your message.

Try this:
1. Open a new document.
2. Type text "abc"
3. Draw a horizontal line.
4. Edit its thickness to 10 mm.
5. Cut line.
6. Embed line in text.
The line of text jumps down to accommodate a 10mm high embedded object but only the bottom 5mm of the embedded line is rendered with a 5mm space between its bottom edge and the text baseline. Now drag the right-hand edge of the window over the text and then pull it back. The whole of the embedded line is now shown - with the top above the top edge of the frame.

Works the same on both RiscOS and the other one.

Regards
John Grogan