[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro, JPEGs, Uniprint

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pilling <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:11:49 +0200

In message <t9ju5EFGk71NFwRO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I'd like to have a discussion about a bug report I got this week from
> Bernard Veasey. He says that if he prints a rotated JPEG using UniPrint
> 4.04, printing fails with an error about transformed JPEGs.

> It is apparent that this is a result of the changes I made to OP a few
> weeks back. There was a discussion here with Martin Wuerthner and John
> Tytgat, and we decided on the "correct" way to handle JPEGs - see if the
> flag saying transformed plotting is set, and if so carry on and use
> transformed plotting.

Ermm. Really? That was not at all my understanding of the change you
made.

I thought the change was to always use transformed JPEG plotting when
printing to a *PostScript* printer (level 2 or 3). That is safe, and
that is all you can do while printing. Most notably, you can never use
transformed JPEG plotting when printing to a raster printer because
there is no way to find out whether the driver supports that. John and
I are still discussing whether we can extend the printing API to
include such a flag.

Rendering to screen is a different issue: When not printing, you can
first try to render transformed, and if that returns an error, fall
back on your previous workaround (render to sprite, plot sprite
transformed).

As far as I recall, that was the conclusion we arrived at back then,
and it was my understanding that that is what you implemented. The
above implementation will never cause a "Transformed JPEG plotting not
supported" error during printing.

Martin