[softwarelist] Re: Ovation Pro, JPEGs, Uniprint

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:34:35 +0100

Hi,

In message <b7db00d851.Bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bernard Veasey <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
25% faster with Geminus
Timing done with a stopwatch.

Thanks for that. I suppose you could have done us a You Tube video.

With Geminus' 'Cache window contents in off-screen video memory'
switched on for Ovation Pro you can drag a menu over the same image
in real time at high speed without any holdup.  With it switched off
it is like dragging it through treacle.

I always say that a speed up of x 5 is needed to impress.

I regret it when I see how slow some JPEGs are. I usually feel this on Windows. Caching and better code could help.

As to the main issue. I think I will tweek OP so that the user can configure the way they want JPEG rendering, and I'll make the stupid, broken, useful way the default. So a new version in a short while, if I remember.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK