[softwarelist] Re: OPW won't open DDL

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:42:47 +0000
On 16 Jan 2011, at 11:30, David Pilling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message <796D98FF-49D9-4C08-A505-4708AEF0B562@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall
> <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
>> Notepad) ... and re-saved the DDL file. However, when I tried to open the
>> DDL file with OPW, I got "File format not supported". Is that supposed to
>> happen?
>
> It's telling you that you're trying to load a file type it does not know
> about. One possibility is that when editing the paths the extensions got
> changed. e.g. xxxx/myjpeg.jpg became yyyy/myjpeg
>
> I'd take it one step at a time, produce the DDL, try loading it, OK?

As I recall, after the initial failure, I did take it one step at a time ...
and it failed at this point (i.e. not OK). In other words, changing the master
directory name seemed to have the effect of causing OPW not to recognize its
own DDL filetype, even tho' no editing of the DDL had been done at that point.
This is what surprised me. But I'll run through the process again when I have
time, just to make sure I'm not imagining things, and report back.

On a general point, if the path to an image has changed, OPW will normally open
a document provided there is no image on the first page. It collapses when it
finds the first (incorrectly referenced) image as you scroll through the
document. I would have expected things to work in the same way when trying to
open a DDL file in OPW. Or am I being naive?

C.B.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.