[softwarelist] Re: OPW won't open DDL

  • From: Grahame Parish <maillist.parish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:11:09 GMT

In message <55504D5A-DD8B-447F-A12D-0B6C273C5034@xxxxxxxx>
          Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2011, at 11:30, David Pilling wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> In message <796D98FF-49D9-4C08-A505-4708AEF0B562@xxxxxxxx>, Clive
>> Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
>>> Notepad) ... and re-saved the DDL file. However, when I tried to open
>>> the DDL file with OPW, I got "File format not supported". Is that
>>> supposed to happen?
>>
>> It's telling you that you're trying to load a file type it does not
>> know about. One possibility is that when editing the paths the
>> extensions got changed. e.g. xxxx/myjpeg.jpg became yyyy/myjpeg
>>
>> I'd take it one step at a time, produce the DDL, try loading it, OK?

> As I recall, after the initial failure, I did take it one step at a
> time ... and it failed at this point (i.e. not OK). In other words,
> changing the master directory name seemed to have the effect of
> causing OPW not to recognize its own DDL filetype, even tho' no
> editing of the DDL had been done at that point. This is what surprised
> me. But I'll run through the process again when I have time, just to
> make sure I'm not imagining things, and report back.

If you are using Notepad to edit the file, you may find that it is
saving it as Unicode text and not ASCII.  You can check it by looking
at the file in a Hex editor and you will find [00] bytes in every
other position.  Easier still, compare the file sizes before and after
edit.  Unicode files will be twice the size if the text being edited
is the same length as before.

--
Grahame Parish
maillistDOTparishATmillersHYPHENwayDOTnet